THE WISCONSIN STORYTELLERS’ GET-TOGETHER!
October 15, 2022 The 33rd Annual WISTGET
IN PERSON AT MOSQUITO HILL NATURE CENTER WITH SOME PARTS OF THE EVENT ON ZOOM.
An annual gathering of Wisconsin tellers actively engaged in the art and practice of storytelling. The Wisconsin Storytellers’ Get-Together is an informal gathering for sharing stories, ideas & resources. It’s a chance for networking, mutual support and being re-energized for storytelling in whatever form we practice it. Join in and swap some tales! Join us for a day of connecting, telling and listening to stories.
- Enjoy a warm welcome from the WISTGET Committee. Chat with Friends.
- Professional Forum – discussion or presentation (tba)
- Choose a SWAP and share your story. Personal Stories, Say It & Sing It, Stories for Children, Mixed Bag, Environmental Tales, Something’s Not Right!
- Lucy Beck Award Presentation – awarded in recognition of noteworthy contributions and service in the nurturing of storytelling in Wisconsin.
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT:
- Register Online: Click Here Send $FEE through PayPal. Donations are welcome.
- Register by Mail: Download the form (provided in September) and mail to Terry Visger with $20 for registration. Donations are welcome.
Payment Method 1: Copy and paste the following URL into your browser to pay online. The URL is Paypal.me/WISTGET20
Payment Method 2: Mail payment to Terry Visger. 4987 Tschumper Rd, LaCrescent MN 55947 (Checks should be made out to: “Wisconsin Storytellers”).
- RSVP by 9/15/22 (meal planning)
- Zoom Only: $15 Early Registration; $25 Late Registration
- $25 Early Bird Registration by 10/1/22 (includes meal ticket)
- $35 Late In-Person Registration after 10/1/22 (no meal guaranteed)
- 10am Doors Open
- 10:30am to 11:15am Get Together to Chat with topics and guidelines (please suggest topics)
- 11:30am Lunch
- 12:30pm 5-5-5! Five Tellers/Five Tales/Five Minutes TRUE-ISH Stories: Put your name in the hat for a chance to tell.
- 1:15pm Swaps
- 2:15pm Swaps
- 3:15pm Swaps
- 4:30 to 5:30 Dinner & Connect!
- 6 to 7:15pm Concert
2021 Kathy Prestidge
2020 Kay Elmsley Weeden
2019 Sadarri Saskill
2018 Karen Wendt
2017 Art Beaudry
2016 Tom Clark
2014 Teju Ologboni
2013 Kristia Wildflower
2012 Jim and Karen Decker
2011 Virginia Hirsch
WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT WISTGET:
This year’s WISTGET is probably the best I have ever attended in recent years. The songs, the poetry, and stories were probably best of the best. I really enjoy every minute of the event. Thank you to those people who help to make this year’s WISTGET event. Franklin Chen 2019
The Get-Together was a huge success and great FUN! Held at Mosquito Hill Nature Center, we are looking forward to gathering…[virtually] this year on September [26th]! Come play/tell with us! Deborah Morningstar 2017
HISTORY! WISCONSIN STORYTELLERS’ GET-TOGETHER
The history and development of an annual gathering of Wisconsin tellers actively engaged in the art and practice of storytelling.
A short history and development of an annual gathering of Wisconsin storytellers and how to get involved. The Wisconsin Storytellers’ Get-together (WISTGET) is an annual gathering of Wisconsin tellers actively engaged in the art and practice of storytelling.
This event was founded in 1987 with the collaboration of the three storytelling guilds active at the time: T.A.L.E.S. (Tri-Area Liars, Elaborators, & Storytellers) of Kenosha, The Madison Storytelling Guild, and M.A.S.T. (Milwaukee Area Story Tellers).
A planning committee formed from the three guilds and organized the annual Get-together each year. With the slogan “Hear It in Wisconsin” the emphasis was on connecting with storytellers throughout the state and encouraging new tellers. The day included Story Swaps, shared meals, a juried Storytelling Concert, and a peer award for service to the storytelling community. The locations have varied over the years but most have been in camp or nature settings.
About 1997 storyteller Hardy Garrison of Marshfield created the Wisconsin Storytelling website which offered a place to list Wisconsin tellers, events, guilds and WISTGET news. Karen Wollscheid took over about 2007 and Karen Wendt is the current webmaster as of 2018.
It is hoped that this website will become the go-to place for all things Storytelling in Wisconsin. Tellers are encouraged to post a listing in the site Directory. Event organizers can send in information with links to their websites. Anyone who discovers storytelling in a new corner of the state can pass on the information via Contact. Let the tales begin!